5-Minute "Quick Steamed" Brussels SproutsCooking whole Brussels Sprouts can take a long time and produce a strong smell. I discovered that thinly slicing and steaming them helps to make them sweeter with no odor—and they are done cooking in 5 minutes! Toss with the easy-to-prepare Mediterranean Dressing to enhance their flavor. Red onions add a sweet flavor to this recipe.
Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Fill the bottom of the steamer with 2 inches of water.
- Cut Brussels Sprouts in half and slice as thin as possible or pulse to chop in food processor. Let them sit for 5-10 minutes before steaming.
- Chop or press garlic and slice onion and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Place onions on the bottom of the steamer basket with Brussels sprouts on top of onions. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Steam for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss Brussels Sprouts with the remaining ingredients while they are still hot. (Mediterranean Dressing does not need to be made separately.) Research shows that fat soluble vitamins and carotenoids found in foods, such as Brussels Sprouts, may be better absorbed when consumed with fat-containing foods like extra virgin olive oil. Dressing helps tenderize Brussels Sprouts. 5-10 minutes after they are dressed you will find they will have become more tender.