Get a "taste" of our 7-Day Meal Plan recipes by trying these two exciting new recipes featured on Day 1!
Greek Broccoli with Feta Cheese and Kalamata Olives
"Quick Steaming" is a great way to prepare broccoli for wonderful taste and texture. Add olives and feta cheese for a Greek twist to this easy-to-prepare, nutrient-rich veggie dish.
Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 3/4 TBS feta cheese
- 2 Kalamata olives, chopped
- Serve with 1 TBS Mediterranean Dressing
- Fill bottom of steamer with 2 inches of water.
- Slice red onion and let sit 5 minutes.
- Separate broccoli florets with small stems from the large, thick stem. Slice florets into 4-6 pieces. Slice small stems into ¼ inch pieces. (You can also do this step in the food processor, using the s-blade). Let sliced broccoli sit for 5 minutes before steaming
- Place sliced onion in the bottom of the steamer first, then add broccoli stems and florets.
- Cover with tight-fitting lid and steam for 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. Toss Broccoli and onions with olives, cheese, and Mediterranean Dressing while it is still hot.
Note: If you wish to use the large broccoli stem, cut off the bottom 1 inch of the stem. Peel the tough skin off the stem. Chop stem into 1/8 inch pieces. Steam for 2 minutes before adding onions and broccoli.
Research shows that fat-soluble vitamins and carotenoids found in foods, such as Broccoli, may be better absorbed when consumed with fatcontaining foods like extra virgin olive oil. Dressing helps tenderize Broccoli. 5-10 minutes after it is dressed you will find it will have become more tender.
Turmeric Glazed Salmon
A sprinkle of turmeric adds extra flavor, nutrition, and anti-inflammatory properties to this already nutrient-rich salmon dish.
Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 4 oz fresh, wild caught salmon
- 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice (optional)
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- pinch red chili flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 tsp orange zest (use organic orange)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS fresh cilantro, chopped
- To Quick-Broil salmon, preheat broiler and place an all stainless steel skillet (be sure the handle is also stainless steel) or cast iron pan under the heat for about 10 minutes to get it very hot.
- Rub salmon with lime juice, garlic, chili flakes (if using), and salt and pepper. (You can Quick Broil with the skin on; it just takes a minute or two longer. The skin will peel right off after cooking.)
- Using a hot pad, pull pan away from heat and place salmon on hot pan, skin side down. Return to broiler. Keep in mind that it is cooking rapidly on both sides so it will be done very quickly, usually in 3-5 minutes depending on thickness. Test with a fork for doneness. It will flake easily when it is cooked. Salmon is best when it is still pink inside.
- While salmon is cooking, place orange juice, orange zest, and ground turmeric in a small sauce pan and simmer over medium heat, until reduced by half .
- Remove from heat and stir in olive oil and cilantro. Top salmon with this mixture.