Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
Sea vegetables references
- Amster E, Tiwary A, and Schenker MB. Case report: potential arsenic toxicosis secondary to herbal kelp supplement. Environ Health Perspect. 2007 Apr;115(4):606-8. 2007.
- Aslam MN, Bhagavathula N, Paruchuri T et al. Growth-inhibitory effects of a mineralized extract from the red marine algae, Lithothamnion calcareum, on Ca2+-sensitive and Ca2+-resistant human colon carcinoma cells. Cancer Lett. 2009 October 8; 283(2): 186-192. 2009.
- Cabrita MT, Vale C and Rauter AP. Halogenated Compounds from Marine Algae. Mar. Drugs 2010, 8, 2301-2317. 2010.
- Cumashi A, Ushakova NA, Preobrazhenskaya ME et al. A comparative study of the anti-inflammatory, anticoagulant, antiangiogenic, and antiadhesive activities of nine different fucoidans from brown seaweeds. Glycobiology vol. 17 no. 5 pp. 541-552, 2007. 2007.
- Güven KC, Percot A and Sezik E. Alkaloids in marine algae. Mar Drugs. 2010 Feb 4;8(2):269-84. 2010.
- Ganesh EA, Das S, Arun G et al. Heparin like Compound from Green Alga Chaetomorpha antennina - As PotentialAnticoagulant Agent. Asian Journal of Medical Sciences 1(3): 114-116, 2009. 2009.
- García-Casal MN, Pereira AC, Leets I et al. High Iron Content and Bioavailability in Humans from Four Species of Marine Algae. J. Nutr. 137: 2691-2695, 2007. 2007.
- Harden EA, Falshaw R, Carnachan SM et al. Virucidal Activity of Polysaccharide Extracts from Four Algal Species against Herpes Simplex Virus. Antiviral Res. 2009 September ; 83(3): 282-289. 2009.
- Krishnaiah D, Rosalam S, Prasad DMR, et al. Mineral content of some Seaweeds from Sabah`s South China sea. Asian J. Scientific Res., 2008;1: 166-170. 2008.
- Manoharan N, Sampathkumar P, Dheeba B et al. Potential Hepatoprotective Effect of Aqueous Extract of Gracilaria corticata in AFB1 Induced Hepatotoxicity in Wistar Rats. Journal of Biological Sciences. Year: 2008 | Volume: 8 | Issue: 8 | Page No.: 1352-1355. 2008.
- Myers SP, O'Connor J, Fitton H et al. A combined phase I and II open label study on the effects of a seaweed extract nutrient complex on osteoarthritis. Biologics. 2010; 4: 33-44. 2010.
- Passadouro M, Metelo AM, Melão AS et al. Study of the antidiabetic capacity of the VO(dmpp)2 complex. J Inorg Biochem. 2010 Sep;104(9):987-92. 2010.
- Skibola CF. The effect of Fucus vesiculosus, an edible brown seaweed, upon menstrual cycle length and hormonal status in three pre-menopausal women: a case report. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2004; 4: 10-18. 2004.
- Unauthored. Vanadium (vanadyl sulfate). Monograph. Altern Med Rev. 2009 Jun;14(2):177-80. 2009.
- Vadlapudi V and Naidu KC. In vitro Bioevaluation of Antioxidant activities of selected Marine algae. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2010, 3(2),329-331. 2010.
- Van Dolah FM. Marine Algal Toxins: Origins, Health Effects, and Their Increased Occurrence. Health Perspect 1 08 (suppl 1):1 33-141 (2000). 2000.
- Winter JM and Moore BS. Exploring the Chemistry and Biology of Vanadiumdependent Haloperoxidases. J Biol Chem. 2009 July 10; 284(28): 18577-18581. 2009.
- Young-Joo L, Adlercreutz H and Kwon HJ. Quantitative Analysis of Isoflavones and Lignans in Sea Vegetables Consumed in Korea Using Isotope Dilution Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry. Food Science and Biotechnology / v.15, no.1, 2006, pp.102-106. 2006.