Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Beverly K, Basu A and Lucas EA. Anti-inflammatory effects of cranberry juice in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated RAW 264.7 murine macrophage cells. FASEB J. 2008 22:890.8 [Meeting Abstract] . 2008.
- Burger O, Weiss E, Sharon N, et al. Inhibition of Helicobacter pylori adhesion to human gastric mucus by a high-molecular-weight constituent of cranberry juice. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2002;42(3 Suppl):279-84. 2002. 2002.
- Côté J, Caillet S, Doyon G et al. Bioactive compounds in cranberries and their biological properties. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2010 Aug;50(7):666-79. 2010.
- Cheng H, Lin T, Yang C, et al. In vitro HSV-2 activity and mechanism of action of proanthocyanidin A-1 from Vaccinium vitgis-idaea. J Sci Food Agric 2004 Oct;85(1):10-15. 2004. 2004.
- Cho E, Seddon JM, Rosner B, et al. Prospective study of intake of fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and carotenoids and risk of age-related maculopathy. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004 Jun;122(6):883-92. 2004. PMID:15197064. 2004.
- Déziel BA, Patel K, Neto C et al. Proanthocyanidins from the American Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) inhibit matrix metalloproteinase-2 and matrix metalloproteinase-9 activity in human prostate cancer cells via alterations in multi. J Cell Biochem. 2010 Oct 15;111(3):742-54. 2010.
- Ferguson PJ, Kurowska E, Freeman DJ, Chambers AF, Koropatnick DJ. A flavonoid fraction from cranberry extract inhibits proliferation of human tumor cell lines. J Nutr. 2004 Jun;134(6):1529-35. 2004. PMID:15173424.
- Gettman MT, Ogan K, Brinkley LJ et al. Effect of cranberry juice consumption on urinary stone risk factors. J Urol. 2005 Aug;174(2):590-4. 2005.
- Guay DR. Cranberry and urinary tract infections. Drugs. 2009;69(7):775-807. 2009.
- Jepson R, Mihaljevic L, Craig J. Cranberries for preventing urinary tract infections. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;1:CD001321. 2004.
- Khoo C, Hullar MAJ, Li F et al. Effect of cranberry juice intake on human gut microbial community and urinary metabolites in a randomized, placebo-controlled intervention. FASEB J. 2010 24:720.3 [Meeting Abstract] . 2010.
- Kim E, Sy-Cordero A, Graf TN et al. Isolation and Identification of Intestinal CYP3A Inhibitors from Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) Using Human Intestinal Microsomes. Planta Med. 2010 Aug 17. [Epub ahead of print]. 2010.
- Koo H, Nino de Guzman P, Schobel BD, et al. Influence of cranberry juice on glucan-mediated processes involved in Streptococcus mutans biofilm development. Caries Res. 2006;40(1):20-7. 2006.
- Kota BP, Huang TH, Roufogalis BD. An overview on biological mechanisms of PPARs. Pharmacol Res. 2005 Feb;51(2):85-94. 2005. PMID:15629253.
- Kruse-Elliott K., Reed J. Cranberry juice modulates atherosclerotic vascular dysfunction. Paper presented at the 35th Congress of the International Union of Physiological Sciences in San Diego, CA, April 3, 2005. 2005.
- Li M, Andrew MA, Wang J et al. Effects of Cranberry Juice on Pharmacokinetics of '-Lactam Antibiotics following Oral Administration. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother., Jul 2009; 53: 2725 - 2732. 2009.
- Lipson SM, Sethi L, Cohen P, et al. Antiviral effects on bacteriophages and rotavirus by cranberry juice. Phytomedicine. 2007 Jan;14(1):23-30. 2007.
- Liu Y, Black MA, Caron L, et al. Role of cranberry juice on molecular-scale surface characteristics and adhesion behavior of Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2006 Feb 5;93(2):297-305. 2006.
- MacDougall C, Gottschall-Pass K, Neto C et al. Dietary Whole Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) Modulates Plasma Lipid and Cytokine Profiles, and Prevents Liver Toxicity in Response to Cholesterol-Feeding in the JCR-LA-cp Corpulent Rat Model. FASEB J. 2008 22:702.6 [Meeting Abstract] . 2008.
- MacLean MA, Matchett MD, Amoroso J et al. Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) flavonoids inhibit matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in human prostate cancer cells. FASEB J, Apr 2007; 21: A1000. 2007.
- Milbury PE, Vita JA and Blumberg JB. Anthocyanins are bioavailable in humans following an acute dose of cranberry juice. J Nutr. 2010 Jun;140(6):1099-104. Epub 2010 Apr 7. 2010.
- Muller CE, Khoo C and Percival SS. Cranberry polyphenols down-regulate the toll-like receptor 4 pathway and NF-B activation, while still enhancing tumor necrosis factor secretion. FASEB J, Apr 2010; 24: 332.2. 2010.
- Nantz MP, Rowe CA, Muller CE et al. Cranberry phytochemicals modify human immune function and appear to reduce the severity of cold and flu symptoms. FASEB J, Apr 2010; 24: 326.6. 2010.
- Neveu V, Perez-Jiménez J, Vos F et al. Phenol-Explorer: an online comprehensive database on polyphenol contents in foods. (2010). Database, doi: 10.1093/database/bap024 (Version 1.5.2, available at http://www.phenol-explorer.eu). 2010.
- Ngo N, Brantley SJ, Carrizosa DR et al. The warfarin-cranberry juice interaction revisited: A systematic in vitro-in vivo evaluation. J Exp Pharmacol. 2010 Jul;2010(2):83-91. 2010.
- Pappas E and Schaich KM. Phytochemicals of cranberries and cranberry products: characterization, potential health effects, and processing stability. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2009 Oct;49(9):741-81. 2009.
- Reed J. Cranberry flavonoids, atherosclerosis and cardiovascular health. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2002;42(3 Suppl):301-16. 2002.
- Reid G. The role of cranberry and probiotics in intestinal and urogenital tract health. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2002;42(3 Suppl):293-300. 2002.
- Rimando A. Pterostilbene as a new natural product agonist for the peroxisome proliferators-activated receptor alpha isoform. Paper presented at the 228th American Chemical Society National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, August 23, 2004. 2004.
- Rimando AM, Kalt W, Magee JB, Dewey J, Ballington JR. Resveratrol, pterostilbene, and piceatannol in vaccinium berries. J Agric Food Chem. 2004 Jul 28;52(15):4713-9. 2004. PMID:15264904.
- Ruel G, Pomerleau S, Couture P, et al. Favourable impact of low-calorie cranberry juice consumption on plasma HDL-cholesterol concentrations in men. Br J Nutr. 2006 Aug;96(2):357-64. 2006.
- Ruel G, Pomerleau S, Couture P, et al. Low-calorie cranberry juice supplementation reduces plasma oxidized LDL and cell adhesion molecule concentrations in men. Br J Nutr. 2007 Aug 29:1-8. [Epub ahead of print] . 2007.
- Shaughnessy K, Sweeney M and Neto C. Investigation of the effects of cranberry fractions on atherosclerosis in mice. FASEB J. 2007 21:847.26 [Meeting Abstract] . 2007.
- Shmuely H, Yahav J, Samra Z, Chodick G, Koren R, Niv Y, Ofek I. Effect of cranberry juice on eradication of Helicobacter pylori in patients treated with antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2007 Jun;51(6):746-51. 2007. PMID:17487928.
- Sun J, Hai Liu R. Cranberry phytochemical extracts induce cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human MCF-7 breast cancer cells. Cancer Lett. 2005 Dec 22; [Epub ahead of print]. 2005. PMID:16377076.
- Tempera G, Corsello S, Genovese C et al. Inhibitory activity of cranberry extract on the bacterial adhesiveness in the urine of women: an ex-vivo study. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2010 Apr-Jun;23(2):611-8. 2010.
- Trivedi A. Role of cranberry juice in preventing recurrent urinary tract infections in the pediatric population. Asian J Pharm 2009;3:161. 2009.
- Vidlar A, Vostalova J, Ulrichova J et al. The effectiveness of dried cranberries ( Vaccinium macrocarpon) in men with lower urinary tract symptoms. Br J Nutr. 2010 Oct;104(8):1181-9. Epub 2010 Aug 31. 2010.
- Vinson JA. Cranberry juice increases plasma antioxidant and HDL cholesterol levels. Research presented at the 225th national meeting of the American Chemical Society, March 24, 2003. 2003.
- Yu Z. Effect of Light on Anthocyanin Levels in Submerged, Harvested Cranberry Fruit. Singh Bal Ram Journal: Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology Year: 2004 Vol: 2004 Issue: 5 Pages/record No.: 259-263. 2004.
- Zhang L, Ma J, Pan K et al. Efficacy of cranberry juice on Helicobacter pylori infection: a double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled trial. Helicobacter. 2005;10:139-45. 2005.